Restore North Temple is a community action group. All rights reserved. 2018
North Temple was originally developed as a residential street served by a trolley line with City Creek running down the middle of the road. This pattern continued to about 1000 West through the first half of the 1900s. Once the Salt Lake International Airport was built and automobile use became more widespread, North Temple transformed into an auto‐oriented street, lined with commercial uses that were designed to appeal to motorists.
Over time, the commercial uses extended further west to form a continuous commercial street between the Airport and Downtown. For decades, North Temple was the primary street to and from the Airport and points west. Once Interstate 80 was complete, motorists could bypass North Temple and the street carried less traffic.
Today, the street serves as the major surface street connecting Downtown to the neighborhoods and businesses in the Northwest Community. Along the Corridor, the neighborhoods around the 800 West Station are the only neighborhoods that have frontage on North Temple. The other areas have developed as a mix of industrial, office, institutional and commercial uses, primarily accessed by private automobile.
With the completion of the new the Airport Light Rail Line, North Temple Boulevard serves a new role in the community, City and region. North Temple has become a mixed use, multi‐modal Boulevard that unites neighborhoods and has become the main street for the community. It is now a major piece of the region's mass transit system, connecting the entire system to the airport and strengthening Downtown as the center of the transportation system.
Source: North Temple Boulevard Master Plan 2010 and NW-SLC application